Re: offtopic (completely): linux games

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Peter Jay Salzman wrote:
> dear all,
>
> i know i'll get flamed for this, but i also happen to know that some
> of you will greatly appreciate this information:
>
> if you ever wanted to get quake III but didn't want to spend the
> (admittedly hefty) price of $50 or $60, now is your chance to
> purchase it:
>
>    quake 3 arena:      9.99
>    descent 3:          9.99
>    myth 2:             9.99
>    heretic 2:          9.99
>    heavy gear 2:       9.99
>    soldier of fortune: 9.99
>    railroad tycoon 2:  9.99
>    eric's solitaire:   9.99
>
> http://www.ebgames.com/    search on "linux"

<plug mode="shameless">

Or you could go to http://www.tuxgames.com and get Jagged Alliance II
for just a bit more.  Hours of non-linear game-play where you actually
get to think about what you are doing.  Besides, one of its chief
Linux developers uses Debian and reads this list. ;)

</plug>

> these are INCREDIBLE prices.  if loki sales get good enough, maybe
> some day we'll get diablo or (native) halflife for linux.  :-)

I truly doubt that.  The rights to port those games often run in half
million dollar range.  It would take a miracle for the Linux version
to break even on something like that.

> sorry, but people like me who refuse to run a dual-boot computer
> (refuse to fork over $$$ to the evil empire) rely on loki software
> for recreation.  :)

Remember, it's not only Loki.  Tribsoft:  the other white meat.  Oh,
and Hyperion too.  Can't forget about them.

Cheers,
Chris

P.S. I'm speaking personally here, and don't wish for my views to be
construed as representing Tribsoft.

--
Got jag?  http://www.tribsoft.com