Kernel - testing to stable

Hi,

I have been with Debian (and Linux) a few months now, and I am making
progress, but it is all still pretty new, but I can see that I am here
at a time when the "stable" package is going to upgrade shortly. I have
avoided "unstable" and "testing" because I would be out of my depth with
any problems, but when change comes I shall want to go to the "new
stable".

Now with sources.list pointing at "stable", when "testing" becomes
"stable" I will have access to the new packages, I understand this, but
it seems to me that the kernel is different.

My "stable" is based around 2.2.17, if the new "stable" is based around
2.2.2x, or 2.4.x, then how does apt-get dist-upgrade deal with a new
"stable" kernel?

Will it just download and install the new one, give driver module
options, then ask for a reboot. I know it is coming in the near future,
so I thought I would get some information on how it is done in the
Debian world.

When I ran windows, at each change (3.1, 3.11 wfw, 95, 98, NT4, 2000)
each release was best served by wiping the lot off and starting from
scratch, but it seems that that is not the way it is done here. How does
it work

Keith

              keith_oconnell@bigfoot.com (Keith O'Connell)