Re: Harddisk sugguestion?

On Sun, 15 Apr 2001, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> 	I am planning to buy a new harddisk about 10 - 20 GB. Is there any
> recommandations? I am using P3V4X motherboard from ASUS with VIA chipset (I
> heard there were some problems with this chipset) Anyway, an ATA66 harddisk
> is what I want but I guess ATA100 with ide card is welcome too. thanx
> everyone

If you buy one at a store like Best Buy or somewhere like that
you'll probably only be able to find ATA 100 these days. As someone
else suggested, it's probably worth the extra bucks to buy a
40 GB disk. The price difference just isn't that great.

I've bought quite a few harddrives, but the only brand I've had
fail (so far) is Seagate. I purchased a 6GB and 8GB and they
lasted about two years, then died without any real warning. They
were both IDE, and in different systems. Depending on how crucial
your system and data are, you might want to look into buying two
drives and using software RAID to mirror them, or maybe buy an IDE
RAID card. I found an interesting page on IDE RAID here:
http://www.research.att.com/~gjm/linux/ide-raid.html

The software RAID HOWTO is here:
http://www.linuxdoc.org/HOWTO/Software-RAID-HOWTO.html

Good luck,