OT: Mutt checking files for new mail

I use fetchmail, procmail, and mutt for my E-mail, and I'm having one
little issue with mutt that has been disturbing me for a while:

Sometimes, new mail in my files does not show up in mutt for a while
(sometimes even a couple hours) after I have received it.

Does this happen to anyone else?  How can I fix it?  I haven't been able
to find anything about it in mutt's manual yet (and aside from that,
mutt has one of the best program manuals I've ever seen).

--
Tom
"I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: 'O Lord,