Mail & Sound probs

First of....having to resort to hotmail to send this because I seem to have broke mail on my box! When ever I use a mail client (mutt, evolution) trying to send (configured to use sendmail) I get the message:

Error sending message, child exited 71 (Operating system error.).

Also incoming seems to have broke as well!

Ran a dpkg-reconfigure sendmail to and regenerating get the following error :

canning /etc/mail/sendmail.mc
Creating /etc/mail/Makefile..... done.
Generating /etc/mail/sendmail.cf ...
Informational: use_ct_file file empty: /etc/mail/trusted-users
Informational: use_cw_file file empty: /etc/mail/local-host-names
Informational: confCR_FILE source file not found: /etc/mail/relay-domains
Informational: confUSERDB_SPEC source file not found: /etc/mail/users
Cannot open hash database /etc/mail/aliases.db: Invalid argument
WARNING: cannot open alias database /etc/mail/aliases
Cannot create database for alias file /etc/mail/aliases

The only thing I can think that could have caused this was I upgraded to new v2 of berkley db library (if this uses it at all ??).

Second problem is with my sound setup,

After finally getting alsa compiled and configured, have managed to get sound working in kde and gnome (events sounds etc) when I start these as root. But not a peep when I start them as a normal user.

Gnome complains that esd is not running when I try and use the mixer. On starting it as a normal user I get th following error:

esd: Failed to fix mode of /tmp/.esd to 1777.
Try -trust to force esd to start.
esd: Esound sound daemon unable to create unix domain socket:
/tmp/.esd/socket
The socket is not accessible by esd.
Exiting...
About the only clue I can track down.

Please CC me in to the list reply as I can't read anything from the list till my mail is fixed ...

Thanks in advance,
Nic