Re: Hepl! I messed up! PostgreSQL 7.1 RC1 pacakges

On Sat Apr 14 02:18:40 2001 Oliver Elphick wrote...

>"Stan Brown" wrote:
>  >I just really messed up!
>  >
>  >I have a "stable" machine, and i had installed all the PostgreSQL related pa
>      >ckages
>  >from the stable archive, and all was well.
>  >
>  >Then I downloaded all the PostgreSQL 7.1 RC1 packages from
>  >http://people.debian.org/~elphick/postgresql/, put them in a directory all t
>      >o
>  >themselves, did a cd to this directory, and di "dpkg -i *".
>  >
>  >This did not go well! I got all sorts of errors, and now when I go into dsel
>      >ct, I
>  >find I'm in dependency H**L.
>  >
>  >First, whay did I do wrong?
>
>You got the packages built for unstable; if you look more closely in that
>URL you will also find packages for potato.
>
>  >Second, how can I recover from this mess?
>
>Replace those packages with potato ones.

	This hole seems to get deeper the more i struggle.

	Here is where I am now. I added:

	deb http://www.samfundet.no/~tfheen/debian potato main

	To /etc/apt-get/sources, and rern dselect.

	Then I tried selecting the new packages. dselect told me it wanted to remove
	perl-base! It also said, corectly, that this was a BAD THING (tm) which is
	certainly correct!

	So I dselect _all_ postgress related packages (hey I can rbuild my db's there
	small0. Now it wants to remove 208 packages, including such things as th
	xserver!

	Hw can I get out of this mess?

	Is there some way that I can just tell dseelct that I _want_ what's presently
	installed?

	HELP!

--
Stan Brown     stanb@awod.com                                    843-745-3154