dead code and everything (was Re: Collaborative discussion engines (was Re: Tragedy and otherwise (was...)))

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Karsten M. Self wrote:

> Development isn't rivalrous in consumption.

No?  One of Microsofts favorite tactics is when some startup comes up with
a innovative idea, to announce they are going to have something similar.
It may not appear for another year or so (or ever) but in the mean time it
kills the other company because everyone waits for Microsoft.  Doesn't
happen in the open source world?  Remember a web browser called mnemonic?
It attracted some interest at a time when there were no free web browsers.
Then Mozilla was announced.  Mnemonic effectively died as developer
attention shifted to the new project.

>Support and bandwidth are.
> I'm repeating myself.

Ok, I'll concede that.  The point is they are not factors which can be
overlooked when talking about "Linux."  Without an influx of new blood in
these areas, as Linux grows it will deteriorate.

> Sorry?
>
> I've been known, dumb, lazy person that I am, to change subject lines
> ;-)

There were a couple of sentences missing there.  What I'm trying to say is
that it is a good thing and it should be formalized. There should be
designated people who go around changing subject lines.  This would be a
good way to manage a large volume of information.  I doubt such a system
would ever be instituted on debian-user but other mailing lists might want
to consider it.

> > > At some point, mailing lists grow to a size that's no longer manageable.
> > > Depending on the topic, this may be several hundred to several tens of
> > > thousands of users.  At this point, some form of subsetting of the list
> > > becomes essential.
> > >
> > > One of my side interests is in developing the filtering tools and
> > > algorithms to aid in sifting through such data.  Kuro5hin (see sig) is a
> > > partial implementation of same, MeatballWiki is a site at which some
> > > related discussion is occurring.
> > >

> > Have you seen the Everything engine?  That might be promising.
>
> Interesting, yes.  But a closed circle -- I don't believe it allows
> external links, at least in default config, and this is a Bad Thing®.
> PerlMonks is Everthing2 based, IIRC.  Wiki is very similar.

I thought it did allow external links but I haven't played with it too
much yet.  (no time you see :-)

--
Jaldhar H. Vyas <jaldhar@debian.org>