Re: Here's one for your stupid file

on Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 06:48:06PM -0700, Jim Bowering (iamb@otvcablelan.net) wrote:
> After an unsuccessful dselect session I had a nearly full disk and wanted
> to get rid of the files I'd d/led, so I deleted /var/cache/apt.  Hey, I
> didn't know.  So now whenever I try to dselect it fails because it can't
> find some files that are supposed to be in that dir.
>
> Anybody know how I can recreate the required files?

In /var/cache/apt, you've got pkgcache.bin, srcpkgcache.bin, and the
archives directory.  You *can* blow away the archived packages, BTW,
easiest and safest way is "apt-cache clean".

The directory structure is:

    .
    `-- archives
	`-- partial

WAG:  I think you might just be able to run 'apt-get update' to update
your package lists.  If that doesn't work, try creating the directories,
permissions:

drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root        33479 Apr 11 00:44 archives/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     root          291 Apr 11 00:44 archives/partial/

...and re-running.

If *that* doesn't work, you're going to have to work out rebuilding the
*.bin files.

Cheers.