Tragedy and otherwise (was Re: water, water everywhere,...)

on Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 03:53:58PM -0400, Jaldhar H. Vyas (jaldhar@debian.org) wrote:

<...>

> Except in this case these are YOUR boots on YOUR feet.  Or a more apt
> analogy: Linux is like a village common.  You've heard of the economic
> concept of the "tragedy of the commons" right?  If too many people take
> from a public resource without giving back, it swiftly gets destroyed.

ObTotCNit.

Not so.

I just wrote up a bit about what TotC is at MeatballWiki, to which this
link may prove an interesting test of the WikiWay....  OK, actually,
looks like I haven't committed the changes yet, but skip on over to
http://www.usemod.com/cgi-bin/mb.pl?TheTragedyOfTheCommons

Point:  TotC refers to resources which are rivalrous in consumption.

*Using* GNU/Linux isn't going to prevent anyone else from using it --
you're not using anything that another user can't access because of your
presence.

Communications bandwidth is another issue.  Network communications grow
according to Metcalfe's law:  the square of the nodes.  Fortunately,
mailing lists are pretty resilient to such effects -- most of the
conversation is node-to-node, without effecting other nodes or a central
chokepoint (other than the listserver).  Usenet, being even more
decentralized, is even more scalable (weblogs, incidentally, are poorly
scalable because of the centralized load).

So you need effective means of managing the rivalrous resource.  In the
case of a list, it's large topic-scanning -- I flip through new posts,
looking for responses (or references) to me, then scan for topics of
interest, then look for unanswered, non-response, posts.  I'll typically
delete deeply nested threads (such as this one)....unless I'm one of the
provocateurs.  They've generally drifted off-topic.

At some point, mailing lists grow to a size that's no longer manageable.
Depending on the topic, this may be several hundred to several tens of
thousands of users.  At this point, some form of subsetting of the list
becomes essential.

One of my side interests is in developing the filtering tools and
algorithms to aid in sifting through such data.  Kuro5hin (see sig) is a
partial implementation of same, MeatballWiki is a site at which some
related discussion is occurring.

Cheers.