Re: Xserver Problems

Thanks for your help.  I changed that line in Xwrapper.config.  Now i can start X from the command line, but gdm doesn't start at startup like it's supposed to.   When I try to start X immediately from a normal user account from the command line, I get this message:

"X: /tmp/.X11-unix has suspicious ownership (not root:root), aborting."

If, as root, I manually change the owner and group or .X11-unix, then I can start X, and gdm can run.  But even then I can't log in through gdm as a normal user, but only as root.

Any idea what could be causing this bizarre behavior?

Thomas R. Shemanske wrote:
Ever since I ran apt-get upgrade and got the new XFree86 4.0.2-13 packages, I can't log in to gdm as a normal user, though I can
now as root since I commented out the "use-ssh-agent" line in Xsession.options file.

When I try to use just startx from the command line, I'm told "user doesn't have authority to start X server". Can someone tell me
which file permissions have been changed and what I should do to change this back to norma?

I haven't had this problem with the most recent upgrade, although there
were some difficulties with the earlier 4.0* series.

Many of the configuration files changed and some were deprecated. I
can't find in the docs where Branden Robinson said he made those
changes, but I can give you some hints.

I believe /etc/X11/Xserver is no longer looked at, but
/etc/X11/Xwrapper.config is

The line
allowed_users=rootonly
is the likely culprit (instead of rootonly, try console or anybody)

You may also want to check the FAQ in /usr/share/doc/xfree86-common, but
I think the above should work

You could also try dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86 or xfree86-common to
change the access values

Tom