Re: custom kernel

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:58:11PM -0300, Marcelo Chiapparini wrote:
> Dear debianers,
>
> I've already compiling (debian way) a 2.2.18pre21 custom kernel for my potato
> box. I have the new /usr/src/kernel-image_*.deb file waiting to be installed.
> I think that if I do "dpkg -i" I will destroy the current 2.2.17 kernel, which
> works perfectly. I want to know if there exists any way to boot with the new
> kernel just to see if it runs OK, keeping the old one just in case something
> goes wrong and I need to boot with the old kernel again. The idea is to define
> the new kernel as the default one after testing.
> Thanks in advance for your time

Install the new kernel-package.  It will install the kernel in /boot,
and create a symlink /vmlinuz that points to the new kernel.  The old
kernel will still be in /boot, and there will be a symlink
/vmlinuz.old pointing to it.  Both these images are enabled in the
stock lilo.conf iirc.  Lilo will boot the first defined image unless
you include a "default" stanza.

If you've tweaked your lilo.conf then you will have to research this.
As long as you don't purge your 2.2.17 kernel-image it will not be
deleted.

FWIW I don't use the /vmlinuz symlinks; I specify the
/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.18 (or whatever) kernel path in my lilo.conf.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.