How to remove zope from run-level 3?

Here's the situation:

Installed potato (2.2r2) onto a 486 Compaq laptop and, as has happened
before, Zope fails to start.  The attempt to start Zope is the single
longest step of the boot process, prior to getting "login:".  I'd like
to skip starting (and failing to start) Zope.

Here's the solution I'm trying.  Change default init run-level from 2
to 3, and remove Zope start from run-level 3.  Changing default
run-level to 3 was easy; my /etc/inittab has:

  id:3:initdefault:

I'm stuck at removing Zope from run-level 3.  In ``man update.rc-d''
there's a REMOVE section, and it tells about using "-f" to remove a
rc_runlevel_.d link even though the script hasn't been deleted.  But
the syntax for REMOVE seems to remove the program from all run-levels
(whereas I'd simply like to keep from starting Zope temporarily, and
would like to go back to a default run-level of 2 after Zope can be

Syntax:
  update-rc.d [-n] [-f] name remove

How to remove Zope from only/just run-level 3?

* * *