Re: mysterious ipchains deny from 192.168.*.* ??

On Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 05:02:05AM -0500, Donald R. Spoon wrote:
> I don't know if this applies to you or not, but our local "Road Runner"
> Cable service has packets in the 10.X.Y.Z address space all over the
> network.  A friend noticed this after he used part of this space for his
> home LAN, and noticed some "strange" entries in his IPMasq logs.  It
> turns out that the local RR has an "internal" network too...apparently
> for monitoring/control of their cable network.  The only "real" problem
> was the numerous entries filling up his logs.  The "fix" was to narrow
> his netmask from 255.0.0.0 to 255.255.255.0.  This effectively blocked
> out all the local RR traffic from the logs.  The "Deny" says your
> firwall/IPMasq setup is doing it's job, I think.  I wonder if your cable
> service is doing something similar??

This is reasonable speculation (I'm speaking as the past administrator
of a cable ISP's network).  There's no good reason to waste "real" IP
addresses on the cable modems and monitoring/support servers when
RFC1918 addresses do the job.

You should definitely change the netmask on your rules to strictly
match what you have set up on your interfaces.

Micromuse Ltd.                 | than a perfect plan tomorrow.