Re: GPG: connection refused, pgp.ai.mit.edu

Quoth Karsten M. Self,
> I'm reading messages in queue right now and just got the following
> message when trying to retrieve a key from pgp.ai.mit.edu:
>
>     [-- PGP output follows (current time: Thu 12 Apr 2001 01:35:58 AM PDT) --]
>     gpg: Signature made Thu 12 Apr 2001 12:30:19 AM PDT using DSA key ID 07182FBC
>     gpg: requesting key 07182FBC from pgp.ai.mit.edu ...
>     gpg: can't get key from keyserver: Connection refused
>     gpg: Can't check signature: public key not found
>
> I'm finding I can't connect to the keyserver using gpg from the command
> line either.   E.g.:
>
>     $ gpg --send-keys karsten
>     gpg: can't connect to `pgp.ai.mit.edu': Connection refused
>
> (exit status: 2)
>
> Anyone else seeing this?  I'm also curious as to what port(s) pgp/gpg
> uses to communicate with the server, I don't know this myself.

I believe that gpg uses http to communicate with the server, as it's
able to do it without additional assistance over a box-standard http
proxy (squid).

I have the following in my ~/.gnupg/options

keyserver wwwkeys.us.pgp.net
keyserver wwwkeys.pgp.net
keyserver search.keyserver.net

I have tried commenting out search.keyserver.net, but that just hangs,
unable to connect to the other servers.

FWIW, I believe that wwwkeys.pgp.net is on a round-robbin DNS, so will
randomly pick one of the keyservers.

When trying to connect over the web to pgp.ai.mit.edu, I get:

ERROR

  While trying to retrieve the URL: http://pgp.ai.mit.edu/

  The following error was encountered:

  * Connection Failed

  The system returned:

  (61) Connection refused

  The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request
  again.

Maybe their server is down...

cheers,

damon

--
Damon Muller              | Did a large procession wave their torches
Criminologist/Linux Geek  | As my head fell in the basket,