DROPPED: OT : GUI Interfaces

oh well, i'll DROP this subject, apparently there is NO reasoning possible
on this subject

-----Original Message-----
From: Alan Shutko [mailto:ats@acm.org]
Sent: woensdag 11 april 2001 22:07
To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
Subject: Re: OT : GUI Interfaces

Joris Lambrecht <jlambrec@landis.be> writes:

> It [X] IS a fantastic system, indeed, but it weighs on your
> computers resources.

X has run on machines so small and slow they haven't been sold in over
a decade.  X also runs now on machines which can fit in the palm of
your hand.

> Also, what's the use for those strenghts i cannot grasp in a
> stand-alone configuration ?

Actually, I don't understand the use of a standalone system, since I
don't own any.  They're _all_ connected.  (I suppose some embedded
systems would count, but you're not running

But in answer to your question:

> on Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:20:45PM +0200, Joris Lambrecht
> (jlambrec@landis.be) wrote:

> > Does anyone know of a non X GUI interface wich has a number of
> > applications

Sure:

* BeOS

* MacOS

* Windows

There's nothing on Linux that has any decent quantities of apps ported
to it.  Easy to check... find the 5 biggest apps you use.  See what
other Unix GUIs they support.

You can get *anywhere* in ten minutes if you drive fast enough.