Re: WindowMaker Rocks!! ;-) (Was: FW: OT : GUI Interfaces)

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 07:51:38PM -0700, Karsten M. Self wrote:
> on Thu, Apr 12, 2001 at 08:13:22AM +0800, csj (csj@mindgate.net) wrote:
> > You missed my favorite icewm (in 3 flavors - -gnome -lite). The most
> > Windows-like wm (not counting KDE's).
>
> Legacy MS Windows is not necessarially the Gold Standard® of GUI shell
> design.

Amen to that, brother!

> You also have various options for opening menus.  By default,
> right-mouse on root window is apps menu, middle mouse is window list.
> These are bound to <F11> and <F12> as well.

Yes, I know my wmaker menus fairly well, but I bind hotkeys to everything
common...  F9 for netscape, F10 to bring up an Eterm (What can I say?
I like the flashy stuff sometimes...), Windows-Z (a lot of apps like
to use Alt-foo themselves, so I've got all my wmaker hotkeys bound to
Windows-foo instead) to lock the screen, F12-Up-Right-Enter to log out,
F12-Down-Enter for GIMP.  That's about all I ever use.  (Anything else,
I start from an Eterm.)

> Incidentally, WPrefs is reason #15,835 for loving WindowMaker -- this is
> one slick, well-thought out, and functional configuration utility.
> There's little that I want configured which it doesn't provide for.

Anyhow, the real reason for my reply:  Why do you like WPrefs so much?  I
used it initially, then discovered wmakerconf.  At that point, there were
some things that could only be done in WPrefs, so I used both, but, IIRC,
wmakerconf now does everything that WPrefs does, plus quite a bit more.

--
That's not gibberish...  It's Linux. - Byers, The Lone Gunmen
Geek Code 3.1:  GCS d? s+: a- C++ UL++$ P++>+++ L+++>++++ E- W--(++) N+ o+