Re: FW: OT : GUI Interfaces

csj wrote:
> Which brings me to my favorite lite-wm peeve. Why do most of them
> lack a persistent menu/taskbar? Take Blackbox (a favorite from the
> posts I have read). To open a new app you have to click at the
> desktop (or is there some abstruse keyboard shortcut?) to bring up
> the app-ropriate menu The problem: how do you click at the desktop
> when you have a maximized app filling the screen? Ditto for
> WindowMaker (though I have found out there's a keyboard shortcut).
>
> Here's one problem the Windows folks have solved pretty well. A
> menu/taskbar that lets you launch apps and Amazon through them.

  fvwm can be configured to do almost everything - you can have keyboard
shortcuts, panel (with icon manager, launch menu, launch buttons, almost
any X application swallowed (I wouldn't recommend swallowing staroffice
though:-) etc...) etc...

  the only problem is that I still do not know the full functionality of
fvwm:-)

  the configuration is via config file(s) mostly but there is already a
fairly sophisticated theme engine (you can change different parts
separately, e.g. change window decorations look but not keyboard
shortcuts etc.) ready for next version (usable but beta)...

	erik