amd and nis

Hi All,
I've got a small network of linux boxen here (the server is Red Hat 7
and my client is Debian woody) and I'm trying to configure them so that
you can login to your account from any machine on the network.  I've got
NIS up and running so that you can login from anywhere but I need some
way for the user's home directory (maybe other directories) to follow
them around.  I believe that AMD is the tool to use to do that.

My problem is that I can't find any good information on AMD.  Well
that's not true the amdref info page is very good but over my head.  I'm
looking for something for someone doing this for the first time.
Anybody got a good link I should look at?

Also the lack of man pages and How-To's makes me think that maybe
there's a better way to do this.  Any suggestions?

Thanks for any help, advice, opinions, etc, etc, etc . . .
Andy