Re: perl modules in general

On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 02:16:26PM -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
> 	However, dselect tells me that I have both perl-5.005, and
> 	perl-5.005-base installed, and the installer script still says it can't
> 	find the needed modules. The it tries to install (or maybe configure)
> 	cpan.pm. In other words it prompts me for things like where to store
> 	the config files etc.

you can accept the defaults or specify somewhere specific that suits you
better, such as somewhere under your home directory.

> 	Then this fails because it does not understand that it needs to use
> 	passive ftp.

if it's a connect problem, i can't help... i presume you try

	perl -MCPAN -e shell

? uppercase and lowercase are significant, as you probably
already know (but in case someone eavesdropping didn't, it never
hurts to repeat now and then, eh?).

on my potato system, in fact, i've got a script in /usr/bin/cpan:

	#!/usr/bin/perl

	eval 'exec /usr/bin/perl  -S $0 ${1+"$@"}'
		if 0; # not running under some shell

	use CPAN;
	shell;

so it's a snap just to say

	cpan

at the command line. cool!

--
americans should never read anything so subversive as what's at
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com