Re: OT : GUI Interfaces

on Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 04:20:45PM +0200, Joris Lambrecht (jlambrec@landis.be) wrote:
> Does anyone know of a non X GUI interface wich has a number of applications
> ported to it ? I keep wondering if X is the answer to Gui's for linux, it is
> after all a hefty piece of software to run ... This question comes from
> reading up on AtheOS wich uses a proprietary interface wich is reportedly
> working very well and fast ...
>
> Since X is, after all those years, not the most userfriendly piece of
> software i'm looking for something else, if available.

X isn't a GUI, it's a network-enabled window management system.  And you
probably don't grasp its strengths.

If you mean "does anyone know of a GUI development toolkit that's not
specific to X", the answer becomes: Tcl/Tk and Qt.

I suspect, however, that the question has some degree of confusion over
its own identity and direction.

Cheers.