Re: water, water everywhere, but not a drop to drink.

%% "Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@morgul.net> writes:

  nlm> On Wed, Apr 11, 2001 at 01:22:42AM -0400, Paul D. Smith wrote:

  >> On my local network I have installed and run telnet-ssl and
  >> telnetd-ssl.  This is "normal" telnet authentication, but your
  >> password, etc. is sent encrypted instead of in the clear.  That's
  >> enough paranoia for me, since I have a very strict firewall
  >> guarding it.

  nlm> Are there any decent SSL telnet clients for non Unix platforms?

Ah!  Yes.  The $64,000 question.  Well, maybe these days closer to
$6,400 :).

I don't know.  But it would be nice if there were.

However, I think SSH can act like SSL telnet, in that it can
authenticate using normal passwords rather than RSA or DSA keys.  And of
course there are numerous SSH clients.

Equally obviously, it's not telnet, so if you have firewall issues or
something that might be a consideration (although I sure don't know what
admin in his right mind is going let telnet through a firewall while
blocking ssh! :)

 Paul D. Smith <psmith@baynetworks.com>    HASMAT--HA Software Methods & Tools