Re: auto add 127.0.0.0?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001 at 10:43:16PM +0100, Barbara and Rory Campbell-Lange wrote:
> Will lots of help from this list I have configured the lo and eth0
> interfaces to load at system startup by correctly setting these up in the
> etc/network/interfaces file.
>
> How do I set up the general loopback network address 127.0.0.0?
>
> at the moment I am using the keyin
>
>     route add -net 127.0.0.0 netmask 255.0.0.0 lo
>
> can I put this in etc/network/interfaces? or will the normally defined lo
> iface clash with this information?

note: this may be irrelevant, but it shouldn't reformat your hard
drive, if you're lucky. (are you feeling lucky?)

one thing i recommend to just about anybody who breathes on this
list is

	apt-get install ipmasq

which will create some firewall rules and routing defaults based
on your network setup, as defined in /etc/network/interfaces.
it's not as secure as it could be, i hear, but it's a great
starting point.

here's my config, if it helps:

	# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

	# loopback gizmo
	iface lo inet loopback

	# local intRAnet
	iface eth0 inet static
		address 192.168.1.1
		netmask 255.255.0.0
		network 192.168.1.0
		broadcast 192.168.1.255

	# connecting to the rest of the planet
	iface eth1 inet static
		address 208.33.90.85
		netmask 255.255.255.0
		network 208.33.90.0
		broadcast 208.33.90.255
		# gateway to the world == the cablemodem:
		gateway 208.33.90.84

all other computers on my intRAnet point to 192.168.1.1 as their
default/gateway/router.

and don't forget to do

	/etc/init.d/networking restart

after munging anything in /etc/network/interfaces
(i'm using potato, that's how it works for me).

--
americans should never read anything so subversive as what's at
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com