getting mlc++ to compile under debian

Well being the ambitious programmer(not terribly good but I can at least code
medium level data structures).
Well anyrate I decided to try to get together a little program that would do
some nice AI in a possibly non pattern matching way (basically pattern
matching is considered a cheat of the Turing test as it's not really
thinking). So I decided to get ahold of a nice little piece of word called the
machine learning library which is written in c++.
This can be found at http://www.sgi.com/tech/mlc/
Well it looked pretty nice so I decided to try to get it working and since it
supposedly supports the gnu tools I thought it would work.
Well long story short after a large degree of tinkering I have to say I am
still getting errors regarding some of the template code from the newest
gcc/g++ combo.
Has anyone been able to get this to work under debian or *any* version of
linux. Tecfhnically most of the stuff appears to be for SGI and SUN but it
*does* appear to work for gcc/g++ in the aggregate.
thanks in advance