Re: Installing network card driver / packages

On Tue, Apr 10, 2001, Nate Amsden wrote:
> Adam Bender wrote:
> >
> > I just installed potato on my system.  I can't find a driver for my network
> > card in modconf (it's a 3Com 3C905C-TX), and therefore I can't download any
>
> use the 3c59x module it should work..

Hi,

I may be wrong, but I believe the 3c59x driver has problems with the
3c905C.  I've set it up satisfactorily with both 3c905A and 3c905B,
but ran it a lot of trouble helping a friend get his 3c905c working
with it.  I believe 3com confirms that you need a different driver,
and I couldn't seem to find it in the kernel (they suggest patching
kernel with their code).  My friend ended up taking another path.

So, in other words, you might have to look further than just the 3c59x
driver.  Sorry I don't have any specific advice to you.  The suggstion
I made to him was to buy a Linksys card for $12 which had fine tulip
driver support.

Hope this helps and take care,

Daniel

PS the situation seems to get more complicated sometimes due to the
confusion between driver's name of 3c59x and card's 3c905x, but they
are still all 3com vortex chips.