Re: Network Monitoring

Dan wrote:

I work at a local ISP here in Gallup, New Mexico and I am looking for some software that monitors network time and as well as filtering software for a Public Access Computer Lab. We woll be running OpenBSD or Debian GNU/Linux the latest version. The time monitoring will allow us to charge the customer for time used. Any help will be greatly appreciated. I know this kind of request is a bit odd, but it is highly needed information.

Debian 2.2r2 includes ipchains, which allow IP packet filtering at the interface level. This is probably what you want.

FreeBSD includes ipf, which also allows IP packet filtering. It may be easier or harder to configure though. I've never done it.

What do you mean by "monitor network time"? The amount of traffic over time, or just the time that the network is in use?

-B