Re: 8-bit characters

On Mon, Apr 09, 2001 at 01:38:10PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
| 	[snip]
| 	string Pause = "\033[P"
| 	compose '`' 'A' to 'À'
| 	compose '`' 'a' to 'à'
| 	compose '\'' 'A' to 'Á'
| 	compose '\'' 'a' to 'á'
| 	[snip]
|
| If they look different on your dislpay, i'd love to know what
| settings you've got that differ from mine...

I was reading this using mutt+less on a Solaris 8 box.  I see A's with
various accents.  In my .bashrc file I have :

export LESSCHARSET=iso8859

which properly displays accented characters.  When I had nothing set
for LESSCHARSET, I got a warning on opening "binary" files and
people's names with accented (upper-ASCII) characters displayed as,
for example,  <F6>  with reverse video.  (the hex value of the
character).

HTH,
-D