Re: sources.list and locally generated debs

Chris Gray <cgray@tribsoft.com> wrote:
>On Mon, 09 Apr 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
>> Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@chello.at> wrote:
>>>My locally generated debs, e.g. from kernel compiles, show up as
>>>obsolete in dselect. Is there an easy way to tell their locations to
>>>the package manager or do I have to mess with Packages.gz files and
>>>the like?
>>
>> You pretty much have to mess with Packages.gz, I'm afraid (at least,
>> that's the easiest way I can think of). apt-ftparchive in the
>> apt-utils package in testing/unstable may help.
>
>If I understand the question correctly, it seems the canonical answer
>is to raise the version number of the locally created package.  This
>should keep dselect or apt from thinking that the local package is
>obsolete.

That stops packages you've taken from the Debian archive and modified
locally from being overwritten on the next upgrade, certainly (you
normally increase by 0.1). Packages you've created yourself and which
don't exist at all in the archive will still appear in the
"Obsolete/Local" section unless you create a pseudo-archive for
yourself.

>You can change the version of the package by adding to the
>debian/changelog file.  There is a nice mode in emacs to help you do
>this.

Also debchange (or dch) in the devscripts package.

Cheers,