Re: sources.list and locally generated debs

On Mon, 9 Apr 2001, Chris Gray wrote:

> On Mon, 09 Apr 2001, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Mario Vukelic <mario.vukelic@chello.at> wrote:
> >>My locally generated debs, e.g. from kernel compiles, show up as
> >>obsolete in dselect. Is there an easy way to tell their locations to
> >>the package manager or do I have to mess with Packages.gz files and
> >>the like?
> >
> > You pretty much have to mess with Packages.gz, I'm afraid (at least,
> > that's the easiest way I can think of). apt-ftparchive in the
> > apt-utils package in testing/unstable may help.

I used to put my local debs (kernels etc) into a directory
(/usr/local/src/debian-local/dists/local/local/binary-i386)
and then run this script:

#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/local/src/debian-local
dpkg-scanpackages dists/local/local/binary-i386 /dev/null >
dists/local/local/binary-i386/Packages
gzip dists/local/local/binary-i386/Packages

Then I would add this to sources.list:

deb file:/usr/local/src/debian-local local/

I was never quite sure about the proper directory paths to set up, and in
fact the names above might not be consistant and correct. Perhaps somebody
can comment on, fix or improve this idea?

...RickM...