Configuring Exim's plaintext authetication

Hi,

Can someone tell me how (or where I'm supposed to read) to configure Exim's plaintext authenticator driver to check the user's password against the /etc/passwd, /etc/shadow files or use PAM somehow (MD5 is enabled as well) ? (Yes I know plaintext is bad, but I'm planning to tunnel it through SSL using stunnel, at a later stage)
Also what's AUTH LOGIN's prompts supposed to look like so Outlook and Outlook Express can understand it? I've currently got it as "User Name : Password".

TIA,
Eugene van Zyl