MBR problem with 486

Hi all,

I've installed Debian 2.2 on an old 486 yesterday (which caused some minor
problems). Everything turned out fine in the end, except the boot
process. It's a Linux-only system, I've partitioned the disk as follows:
/dev/hda1: /boot 5MB
/dev/hda5: swap 50MB
/dev/hda6: / the rest
Lilo is used for booting, I choose the second option in the installation
process (using the /boot partition). Also, the installation process
installed a new MBR. Now, when I reboot, I only see MBR repeated on my
screen several times, nothing else happens. I have to boot to Linux using
a boot disk, which takes an awfully long time ;-)

What could cause this?

--

Ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny.