Re: Problems Configuring network on installation

On Sunday 08 April 2001 04:07 pm, Sebastiaan wrote:
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Dan Berdine wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'v been using Debian for a while, and I'm trying to help a friend
> > install, and we want to install over the network.  We made the rescue,
> > root, and drivers1 floppies and everything has gone smoothly up until the
> > configuration of the network.  The machine (HP with a Pentium I, 64MB
> > RAM, 3 partitions, windows(~900MB), linux native(~1000MB), and
> > swap(128MB)) is on a university LAN and under windows and previous linux
> > installations manually configuring the network has worked fine for the
> > same machine.  However, after configuring the network we get a message
> > saying the network is configured but not activated, and when attemptig to
> > install the base system over network we are told we have to configure the
> > network first.  The rtl8139 module included with the stable (4/8/01)
> > floppy images is marked as having sucessfully installed, which we are
> > almost 100% certain is the correct driver for this network card because
> > of previous problems.
> >
> > Is there some key step we are missing, or is this just some fluke of the
> > network or the card itself?

Just thought I'd let everyone know we got it working, broke down and dled the
floppies and now the network is behaving fine.

I would still like to know what could be done to fix this tho, clearly the
modules were right and the configuration was correct because as soon as we
rebooted after installing the base, dselect was able to access the sources
fine and download the packages we selected, but no matter how many times we
configured the network or rebooted into dbootstrap, it wouldn't activate the
network.  I expect I may want to install over the network in that way again
in the future and knowing how to get it to work would be a big plus...

thanks,

-Dan