Connecting to my ISP.

Dear Debian Group,

My problem today is that I am sometimes unable to connect to my ISP.
Sometimes I am able to connect, but then many times I am not. The difference
occurs immediately after the line: "--> Carrier detected. Waiting for
prompt." Some times the prompt is given and then WvDial connects fine, but
then sometimes it is not and the problem occurs. There is nothing that I do
differently and when I am unable to connect I am unable to connect for a
very long time even when I try over and over many times. I am unsure as to
whether it has to do with how WvDial and my modem communicate with my ISPs
modem or whether it is the sole responsibility of my ISP. When I connect
with my Windows 98 box and its modem I never encounter a problem. I have
trouble only with my Debian box and modem.

I have written out exactly what appears on my monitor:

debian:~# wvdial
--> WvDial: Internet dialer version 1.14
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
ATZ
OK
--> Sending: ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 S11=55 +FCLASS=0
OK
--> Modem initialized.
--> Sending: ATDT 9702477798
--> Waiting for carrier.
ATDT 9702477798
CONNECT 115200
--> Carrier detected. Waiting for prompt.
--> Don't know what to do! Starting pppd and hoping for the best.
--> Starting pppd at Sun Apr 8 16:34:42 2001
--> PPP daemon has died! (exit code = 10)
--> Disconnecting at Sun Apr 8 16:35:12 2001
--> Auto Reconnect will be attempted in 5 seconds
--> pppd error! Look at files in /var/log for an explanation.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
--> Modem not responding.
--> Initializing modem.
--> Sending: ATZ
--> Modem not responding.
Returning not ok!!
--> Disconnecting at Sun Apr 8 16:35:29 2001
debian:~#

Thank you very much,
Ry