Re: globally setting tab=4 spaces?

On Sun, Apr 01, 2001 at 11:56:26PM -0600, John Galt wrote:
> Will, I think it's in terminfo.  man 5 terminfo points you to the it
> variable.  But it looks like /etc/terminfo/l/linux is a binary... It's
> days like this when I curse the day that Debian switched from termcap to
> terminfo.  I'd have suggested you just change the termcap entry, but I'm
> not too hot on the process for changing terminfo.  I hope this gives you a
> starting point though...
>
> On 1 Apr 2001, Bill Wohler wrote:
> >will trillich <will@serensoft.com> writes:
> >> is there a way to change the default 8-col tab to 4-col?
> >> system-wide? (this is linux, after all...)
> >
> >  Yes, this is Linux. This means that the standard for hard tabs is 8
> >  characters wide.
> >
> >  If you ever want to exchange files with anyone else, and you want
> >  them to be able to read your files without getting a headache,
> >  please either ensure that your tab key inserts spaces, or your hard
> >  tabs are 8 characters wide.
> >
> >  Many coding conventions require this.

luckily, linux allows an out, even for this hard-headed -- i
mean, hard-wired -- situation.

why else does /usr/share/tabset/ exist?
why would tput exist?
why else could this show anything?

	% infocmp -L1 | grep tab
	init_tabs#8,
	clear_all_tabs=\E[3g,
	init_file=/usr/lib/tabset/vt100,
	reset_file=/usr/lib/tabset/vt100,
	set_tab=\EH,
	tab=^I,

oh, look! :) init_tabs#8 ! lookie, lookie!

thanks, john and hashao!

--
does a brain cell think?

will@serensoft.com