Installing KDE and Gnome

Hi. I want to install KDE and Gnome, but still boot in console mode and be
able to use my non-desktop startx. I don't want to have an automatic
graphical startup (XDM, etc.). I'm thinking that what I want is to create a
startk and startg that work like startx.

This configuration is so I can test software with and without KDE and Gnome.
Normally, I just run startx and Blackbox. I've never used KDE or Gnome, and
am concerned those installations may try to take over my system (which may
be what typical users would expect).

How do I install and set up KDE and Gnome to run optionally?

Thanks!

Robin