easy framebuffer wanted. :)

i was very happy the other day when i installed my newest machine and
got a penguin logo as soon as i rebooted.  :)

unfortunately, the kernel that the installation gave me
(2.2.18pre21-idepci) is the only prepackaged kernel i've been able to
find that has framebuffer support compiled in.  i've tried 2.2.18,
2.2.19pre17, and 2.4.2-k7 without success.

so i'd like to know one of two things:

1. where can i find a kernel that will boot and give me a framebuffer,

or

2. how can i turn the framebuffer on when support for it has been
   compiled into modules?  when i used a matrox millenium, i was able
   to modprobe matroxfb, and the framebuffer would pop on.  2.4.2-k7,
   which i'm using now, has tons of fb modules.  how can i do the same
   thing with the vesa framebuffer and the card i have now (an s3
   savage4)?

thanks,

| jeff covey jeff.covey@pobox.com http://pobox.com/~jeff.covey/ 410-669-4926 |
|                            he also bought this nuns.                       |