Re: sources.list

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001, Dave Sherohman wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 09:22:52PM -0500, will trillich wrote:
> > On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 05:17:58PM -0500, Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:
> > > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> > > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free
> >
> > ooh. that sets my teeth on edge. you should pick WHICH you want
> > (potato = well-tested, solid, STABLE; woody = avant-garde,
> > tinkerings, incoming, new, probably works) and stay with that
> > distribution.
>
> More significantly, I suspect that the potato line above is entirely
> superfluous.  When apt goes to install something, it grabs the most recent
> version available, based on version number.  Testing is always at least as
> recent as (and usually more recent than) stable, so I suspect that the above
> configuration is effectively equivalent to listing only woody, except that it
> makes you download more package listings.

Well, here's a reason:

I just installed potato on a laptap, then switched to woody in
sources/list and did dist-upgrade. Then I went to install emacs19 but it's
not in woody. So I added the potato line and then installed emacs19. I
have tons of emacs19 custom lisp that I haven't ported to emacs20 yet.

...RickM...