Re: Creating eth0

Brendan O'Connor <brendan642@runbox.com> writes:

> I'm in the middle of configuring my desktop debian computer for a new cable
> modem, but I've found there's no eth0 or indeed any eth* device in
> /dev.

That's right. Seems that network interfaces don't have a device
files. You just have to configure your network interfaces with
/sbin/ifconfig (of course, the driver for your network card has to be
loaded). Debian provides a nice frontend for managing network
interfaces: Just write them to /etc/network/interfaces (see man
interfaces) and you can start/stop them with ifup/ifdown.

        hth,
	moritz
--
Moritz Schulte <moritz@chaosdorf.de> http://www.chaosdorf.de/moritz/