Re: sources.list

On Fri, Apr 06, 2001 at 05:17:58PM -0500, Stephen E. Hargrove wrote:

> In looking at http://packages.debian.org, I seem to have many versions
> from the unstable group.  I have no idea how this happened.  I did a
> dist-upgrade Wednesday evening from potato to woody.  Following is the
> pertinent part of my sources.list:
>
> # debian sites
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian woody main contrib non-free
> deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian potato main contrib non-free

ooh. that sets my teeth on edge. you should pick WHICH you want
(potato = well-tested, solid, STABLE; woody = avant-garde,
tinkerings, incoming, new, probably works) and stay with that
distribution.

> However, I find myself with many packages (zlib1g-1:1.1.3-14, for example)
> that are unstable (according to packages.debian.org).
>
> Can someone explain what's going on? I'm assuming the unstable packages
> are sid and the testing packages are woody.  Is this right?  If so, is
> packages.debian.org out of sync, or have I somehow ended up with a lot of
> unstable stuff (and, if so, how)?

http://www.debian.org/doc/FAQ/ch-ftparchives.html#s-codenames

	Currently, stable is a symlink to potato (i.e. Debian
	GNU/Linux 2.2) and unstable is a symlink to woody, which
	means that potato is the current stable distribution and
	woody is the current unstable distribution.

since this doesn't mention 'testing' i'd bet it's a bit
out-of-date, but you should get the idea.

track stability via
	stable
	testing
	unstable
(when a new stable arrives, you'll upgrade to it)
... or pick a snapshot (pkg versions and such) via
	slink
	potato
	woody

SEE groups.yahoo.com/group/newbiedoc/files/apt-get-intro.html

--
does a brain cell think?

will@serensoft.com