Re: pasting text into bash without use of mouse

wrote:

> > > Just posted here this week.  If you have wmaker installed,
> > > wxpaste and wxcopy do what you'd expect them to.
> >
> > It looks interesting. But I forgot to add: --without-X. For those
> > dire moments when X crashes.
>
> I'm no longer clear on what it is you're hoping to accomplish.
> More below.

Taking a breath of humid air:

Let's say I have a file "commands.list" which contains a series of
commands. One is the line:

(1) find * -name *.htm | grep -h "http://www.foo.org"; > foo.txt

I want now to do:

(2) find * -name *.htm | grep -h "http://www.foobare.org"; > foo.txt

I would extract the first command (1) from "commands.list" by typing

grep "www.foo.org"

which would of course print to the default stdout, e.g. the terminal.
End of story. That's all I get. But if there's some way to "pipe" or
"paste" (note the quotes of doubt)  the output of grep and friends to
the command line itself, I can simply use bash's line-editing
functions to morph command (1) to command (2). No mousing around
(admittedly not much of a gray-xercise when you're using gpm or X),
no retyping, no vi.