Re: How to compile the debian way?

"Noah L. Meyerhans" wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 08:28:56AM +1000, Mark Devin wrote:
> > > I need to compile rp-pppoe for my adsl connection.  (I initially thought
> > > I could just do apt-get install pppoe but apparently not.)
> > >
> > > Anyway, my question is how do I compile stuff the debian way?  You know,
> > > so that the packages are all "known" by dpkg.
> >
> > Oh,  And what about if I have the tarball on my system?
>
> Just build and install the tarball and use the equivs package to let the
> Debian package database know it exists.  It's often wise to keep your
> non-Debian stuff in /usr/local/ just to ensure that Debian won't step on
> it (and it won't step on Debian).  A package line 'stow' might help you
> manage /usr/local.

Wow!  That went over my head.

Do I just apt-get install equivs  - how do I use that?
How do I use 'stow'?

Also, I just did apt-get source --build pppoe
and it seems to have put it in the directory I was in (/etc/apt) when I ran the
command.  How do I know where it should be put?

Thanks for all the help.

Mark.