Re: Quicktime player?

On Sun, Apr 08, 2001 at 01:00:12AM +1000, CaT wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 10:53:44AM -0400, Stan Brown wrote:
> > I have installed xanim, and xanim modules, but I still don't seem to be
> > able to play QuickTime movies. This is on a stavble system.
> >
> > Is there something special I need to do to enbale this? Or can someone
>
> Yes. You need to wedgie Sorenson until they cry and give in and let
> loose the specs so that a player can be made by one and all. the Q4
> spec is held up by them... 8(

not just them, sorenson and apple are playing this obnoxious little
game of finger pointing at each other, it goes something like this:

sorenson: we can't release any specs because our product is
proprietary, and we can't release a binary codec for any other
platform because we have an exclusionary contract with apple.

apple: we can't release a sorenson codec for any other platforms
because we don't own the sorenson codec, sorenson does.  ask them.

in short screw them both and promote Open Free standards.

--
Ethan Benson
http://www.alaska.net/~erbenson/