Re: custom kernel can not install

On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 02:48:54AM -0600, eric wrote:
> Dear Mano or debian user:
>
>    after I kpkg to make new kernel.deb, I got error
>
> dpkg  -i    kernel-image-2.4.2_custom*
> dpkg: regarding kernel-image-2.4.2_custom.1.0_i386.deb containing
> kernel-image-2.4.2:
> pcmcia-modules-2.4.2 conflicts with kernel-image-2.4.2 (>> 0.02)
>   kernel-image-2.4.2 (version custom.1.0) is to be installed.
> dpkg: error processing kernel-image-2.4.2_custom.1.0_i386.deb (--install):
> conflicting packages - not installing kernel-image-2.4.2
> kernel-image-2.4.2_custom.1.0_i386.deb

It looks to me like you didn't upgrade the appropriate packages along
with your kernel.  Look at the section "Current Minimal Requirements" in
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/Changes for the relevant details.

> need help on this
>
> actually I use downloaded k7 kernel.deb,  in this platform , I keep can
> not access ide cdrom
> but it can cdrecord.  Must I recompile kernel, would I have other way to
> let me access ide cdrom in addition to recompile kernel?

Tell us a little more about your system.  I'm guessing you have a cdrom
and a cdrom r/w on this machine?  How are you trying to access your
cdrom?  What error messages are you getting when you do so?  Your
probably just not pointing to the correct device.  You can find out
which device you need to point to by looking at the output of -
$ dmesg|less
hth,
kent

--