Re: Help! Accidentally started deleting /usr

On Sat, 7 Apr 2001, Gavin Hamill wrote:

> The short answer is: restore from your backups :)
>
> No backups? Copy all important stuff to your other machine, reinstall from
> scratch, and learn from the experience :)

No backups.  This machine needs to be working by tomorrow (if at all
possible) so I am going to try to recover it without a complete reinstall.
I have two possible plans:

1. I have a number of packages in /opt/archives.  If I could somehow use
these to force a reinstall of the right version of all my packages then
this would fix things.  The main problem with this is that there are
multiple versions of the same package in here.  How do I tell it to only
reinstall the "current" ones?

2. I am copying across the entire /usr directory from my other machine.  I
am thinking of replacing the partially deleted /usr partition with this
one.  The problem with this of course, is that the two machines aren't
entirely the same with respect to package state.  They shouldn't be "too"
different however.  Is there a way of telling apt-get to reinstall
everything?  I know there is the "--reinstall" option, but this only works
on files it actually decides should be installed.

Thanks,

Mark.