Re: connecting adsl on startup

f1k@gmx.de wrote:

> I installed the pppoe 2.8 debian package and configured it with adsl-setup.
> I can connect to my ISP with adsl-start.
> Now I want to have the connection starting at boot time. There are two ways:
>
> 1. I put the following script in /etc/init.d
>
> #!/bin/sh
> /usr/sbin/adsl-start
>
> and made a symlink to it in /etc/rc2.d. The script is executable. But the
> connection isn't startet at boot time. Is the script wrong? Or is it the wrong
> runlevel? Did I miss something else?

I guess the first thing to do would be to make pppd print some debug
information by using the 'debug' option in the appropriate
/etc/ppp/options file.  Then look at /var/log/ppp.log.  At least that
should give you a clue of whether it's really running.

> 2. I could rename /etc/ppp/no_ppp_on_boot to /etc/ppp/ppp_on_boot and edit.
> But I can't even connect with pon. I did everything I'm supposed to do to
> make it work (what /usr/doc/pppoe/README.Debian says). pon does not complain
> about anything, it just quietly returns, but there's no connection. Maybe
> adsl-setup changed something I don't know.

My best recollection is that pon does nothing useful after adsl-setup;
that you have to run adsl-start to make good things actually happen.