Re: Adding to the Debian-Blackbox Menu

On Thu, 05 Apr 2001, Alan Chen wrote:
> --- William Leese <wleese@europe.nl.com> wrote:
>> I was wondering if it is possible to add your own entries to the
>> 'Debianized' Blackbox menu. I wish to run some applications with
>> certain parameters and sometimes i wish to add some of the
>> executables i compiled from source. I've tried editing
>> /etc/X11/blackbox/blackbox-menu but any changes i make are reset
>> after i shutdown X.
>>
>> Can anyone help me on this?
>>

>> William
> Try this
> http://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/menu.html/
>
> Basically, you need to add a .menu file to your home directory.
> There may also be documentation in /usr/doc/menu of your system.

That is probably the proper way of doing it.  However, the blackbox
menu is extremely easy to edit.

I have the following in my ~/.blackboxrc

session.menuFile:       /home/cgray4/.blackbox/menu

and the following in /home/cgray4/.blackbox/menu

 [begin] (Blackbox)

 [exec] (aterm)    {/usr/bin/aterm -shading 40% +sb -transparent -fg green -sl 500 -vb -e screen}
 [exec] (Terminal) {/usr/bin/gnome-terminal}
 [exec] (Netscape) {/usr/X11R6/bin/navigator}
 [exec] (Gnus)     {/usr/bin/emacs21 -f gnus}
 [exec] (Mutt)     {/usr/bin/gnome-terminal -e "mutt -y" -T "the mutt is not a dog"}
 [nop] (\(Debian\))
# [submenu] (Debian) {}
 [include] (/etc/X11/blackbox/blackbox-menu)

 [exit] (Exit blackbox)

 [end]

The include line gets the whole Debian menu, and I can order the other
menu entries the way that I want.

Cheers,
Chris

--