Re: getting /bin files for debian unstable x86

on Thu, Apr 05, 2001 at 04:28:45PM -0400, Cyanide Morgoth Calcuterm (anime@MailAndNews.com) wrote:

> >   - OK, you don't have a backup system.  Buy a DAT drive for $400 and a
> >     handful of tapes.  Or a CDW or CDRW system.  But I'd prefer tape.
>
> $400 USD cost more than my computer cost

Completely irrelevant.

    What is your data worth to you?

    What is your time worth to you?

    What is it worth to you to be able to recover from such incidents as
    you're encountering now?

    What are the minimum technical requirements to accomplish your
    archival and recovery objectives?

I shelled out the $600 or so that a drive, SCSI card, and media, cost me
about three years ago.  For the rate of $200/year, I've had the
assurance that I'm no more than a few days out of date with recovery
processes.  Thank Fnord, I haven't had a disk failure.  I *have*
unintentionally deleted files on occasion, and have also required tape
archives to help in schlepping partitions around as I've added or
reorganized disks on my system.

There may be less expensive alternatives than a DAT drive, discussed in
the references below, however I strongly recommend the technology.

In a situation similar to your own, I'd have my personal data archived
off already.  I'd also have a package list archived off already.  My
recovery plan is to reinstall the base OS, read in my own package list,
install this, then restore my variable partitions on top of this.

Disaster recovery requires preparation.  You appear to be unprepared.
You have several options, none of them are going to be painless.  You
have to determine what recovery path is best for you.

You're encouraged to look over my documents on system partitioning
(which relates to isolating system, local, and variable data), and
backup strategies:

    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/partition.html
    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/Linux/FAQs/backups.html

Cheers.