Keyboard lockup

Hello all,
   I have a major problem with my Linux box.  I am running the unstable
version of Debian, and my system has been running fine for months.  No
major problems.  This morning I booted up my machine and discovered my
keyboard will not work in Linux.  Here's the scenario:

LILO comes up and I hit Enter to boot linux.  The boot process proceeds
in the normal fashion.  No error messages, everything is fine.  Then
the GDM login box comes up so I can log in to X.  At this point the
keyboard doesn't work.  I can't type in my username.  I tried pressing
CTRL-ALT-F1 to get to a virtual terminal, but that won't work either.
Nothing.  It's as if the keyboard completely died.

At first I thought that my XF86Config-4 file got messed up somehow.  So
I rebooted and typed "linux single" at the boot prompt so I could boot
to a command line.  I re-ran the xf86config program and re-created the
config file.  This didn't solve the problem.

A friend of mine mentioned that maybe there was some sort of conflict
with gpm, but I do not have gpm installed, so that's not it either.

I am at a loss as to what the problem could be.  I know for a fact that
it is NOT a hardware problem, because the keyboard works fine in
Windows.  I did not install any new software, or make any changes to
the system whatsoever. In fact, I have been using windows for a few
days and I haven't even been using Linux.  Linux had been running fine
for months until this morning.  This problem seems to have appeared out
of the blue.

If I cannot find a fix I will be forced (as a last resort) to backup my
important files and format the partition and reinstall Linux and see if
that works.  I really don't want to go down that road if I don't have
to.  If anyone can give me any help at all I would greatly appreciate
it.  Thanks in advance.

Casey

--
Casey Henderson