Re: [MAPS #33478] Re: Whats goin on?

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001 at 12:54:01PM -0400, Alan Shutko wrote:
> Roberto Diaz <rdiazmartin@vivaldi.ddts.net> writes:
>
> > They want to block the whole IP's which are dynamic so they can not
> > send mail anymore so every guy in the internet will have to depend
> > upon a third-party mail relay to send mail.. whats the next?
>
> The usual response to this is
>
> "Your ISP gives you a mailserver through which to relay mail.  Set a
> smarthost and get over it."
>
> Why isn't that sufficient for you?

Maybe because you have usually only a limited number of e-mail
addresses at your ISP, which you usually have to pay for?

Maybe because some ISP's mail relays tend to be down and/or slow.

Maybe because the ISP's relay is itself blocked?

Maybe because I've found it is impossible here to get a static
IP with correct DNS entries (in this country.) Our ISPs seem to
think a domain is just a pretty string for after the http://
They offer redirection but nothing more.

This wasn't a problem when DUs were mostly analog modems which
were clearly unsuited for running MTAs, now we've got cable
and xDSL. Oh well...

Christian