Re: Simple Install Question

On Tue, Apr 03, 2001, Kevin Stokes wrote:
> >I assume you mean your second hard drive?  It's only a D: drive under DOS
> or Windows.  :) <
>
>   How about if I call it 'the little shiny box that makes whirring and
> clicking noises which is under the other one which is sort of like it?' :)
>
>   Thanks for your consise and perfectly clear explanation of why I can't do
> what I wanted.   If only that had been in the Debian install documentation,
> I wouldn't have wasted hours, and I wouldn't have had to bother everybody.
> Don't get me wrong, I think the Debian install doc is terrific, and has
> plenty of detail.   However, some details which are natural to Linux people
> are alien to newbies.
>
>   I got stuck for a while because I didn't realize you had to set the type
> of a partition, after you made it, so it wouldn't accept my swap partition.
> I am also confused about what difference it makes between making primary or
> logical partitions.  Since I'm only making three, it didn't seem to make any
> difference at all if the 2nd two were logical or primary.

Hi,

This distinction was introduced by MS-DOS, I believe, and linux
partitioning tools simply adopt the distinction (though it is
unnecessary) to help coexist when multiple OS's are on a single
machine, I think (but it's been a while since I've used anything other
than Linux or *BSD).

May I also suggest that you check out:

Linux, 2nd Edition by Michael Kofler (pub. by Addison-Wesley).  While
it's geared for three distributions (Debian, RedHat, and Suse), it
will probably answer lots of your questions, especially since it
covers not only core OS issues, but introduces one to the vast array
of wonderful free software that you'll use on your linux system:
emacs/vi, latex/tex, gimp, apache, programming development tools, etc.

It's a really great all-around linux intro.

Hope this helps,

Daniel