Simple Install Question

  My apologies for stupid question, I've known nothing but Microsoft stuff
until yesterday.  After much learning, I finally got debian to the point
where APT was almost configured when I ran out of disk space.  Reason:

   I wanted to have three partitions on my D: drive for Linux.  One was
going to be for the root only, which I alloted 65mb for.   Another 1150mb
partition was for /usr, /var and everything else.  Lastly was another 65mb
partition for swap.

   However, if I make the first partition the root, and then choose /usr for
the 2nd partition, it then puts /var, /home and /tmp in the little root
partition.   I don't want to have seperate partitions for each of these,
because that would waste too much of my limited hd space.

  Is there a way to have the root in my small partition, and all the others
(except for the swap) in a different partition?

    Many thanks to those who have already helped me; I finally got my
internet access working with a static IP address; I could not get DCHP to
work even though the Windows machines on my LAN manage to get their IP's
assigned automatically.
However, it works and can find www.debian.org now, so it will work to
download the rest of Linux hopefully, once I can work out the partition
problem.

Kevin Stokes
Pie in the Sky Software
www.pieskysoft.com